Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Volunteering at GHCC

Meet Neal Gary.  He's been volunteering with GHCC for a few years now, and recently we caught up with him to ask him about his varied experiences, which have included everything from helping prepare for events to handing out GHCC literature at summer festivals.  Thanks for your support, Neal!

If you're interested in volunteering with GHCC, please call us at 410-261-3500 to find out about upcoming volunteer opportunities.

What do you like about volunteering at Greater
Homewood?
When I’ve volunteered at Greater Homewood, I’ve always been greeted by friendly faces.  It seems like everyone who works for or with GHCC (employees, VISTAS, volunteers, etc.) holds a positive outlook on life and a large amount of enthusiasm for Baltimore’s diverse neighborhoods.  When I show up to volunteer, I know that it’s going to be an uplifting experience.

What was your favorite volunteer experience?
Most recently, I volunteered at GHCC’s 40th Birthday Party.  One of the tasks I enjoyed most was putting together packets of door prizes for everyone who attended.  It was fun to sit around the table with a few of my Greater Homewood friends and chat and listen to music as we prepared for the event.

Each year I also enjoy the summer weather, helping GHCC spread word about its various programs by volunteering a couple of my hours at GHCC’s table at the Charles Village Festival.  This gives me an opportunity to familiarize myself with the progress that Greater Homewood has made
over the past year.

Do you hope to volunteer for GHCC again soon?  Why?
Whenever I’m helping out at GHCC, I know that my time is well spent.  I’m not a Baltimore native, but over the last three years, I’ve come to realize that for all its problems (and what city doesn’t have a few of those?), Baltimore is truly a charming city with a unique personality.  GHCC is doing all it can to help Baltimore overcome its problems and reach its potential.  It’s exhilarating to be a part of that work, and I look forward to each opportunity.

Above: Neal (far left) and GHCC staff members celebrate after a long evening of assembling programs and party favors in preparation for GHCC's 40th Birthday Party in October 2009.

No comments: