Friday, March 5, 2010

GHCC Welcomes a New Face

If you follow GHCC's Twitter feed, you might have noticed a few extra tweets yesterday afternoon courtesy of our new intern, Armon Polk.  We're piloting a new internship program this week, and we asked Armon to tweet about his first hours at GHCC.  For a little more background on the internship, Greater Homewood Voices caught up with Tara McKenzie, the AmeriCorps*VISTA member who created the program; Tyson Smith, Armon's supervisor at GHCC; and Armon himself.

Tara McKenzie:

For many students of Success Academy, adverse social situations and stigmas could prove inhibitors to successful futures.  The "alternative" middle/high school population is, after all, comprised solely of students who have been expelled from mainstream schools due to behavioral issues.  However, under Principal Kevin Brooks' leadership, the Success Academy staff actively work to ensure the students are empowered, rather than marginalized.

One way I have worked to positively impact the lives of our students is through the establishment of an internship/mentorship program. I developed the program with several aims in mind.  The primary aim is to provide the students with  the opportunity to connect positively with community organizations/agencies/corporations, while gaining practical experience, developing respective educational and career trajectories, establishing networks, honing leadership skills, and getting a better understanding of the world of work.

Armon Polk:

Hello, my name is Armon Polk from Detroit, Michigan. I just started an internship here at Greater Homewood Community Corporation and I'm glad to be here. I am a senior in high school and I am going to try and go to college and study sociology. I play sports such as football, basketball, boxing, etc. The school I attend is Success Academy, but my original school  is Institute of Business and Entrepreneurship. I am good with my hands so I enjoy building things or putting up walls or ceilings. I am a respectful and thoughtful person.

Tyson Smith:

Greater Homewood Community Corporation was delighted this week to take on a Success Academy intern, Armon Polk, to work for us as a Receptionist and Administrative Assistant.  Armon joined our staff for 15 hours a week, and will be working at the front desk of our 3503 N. Charles Street office from 11 - 2 every day for the next several weeks.

GHCC takes great pride in its ability to provide inexperienced new staff members, interns, or volunteers with essential business skills that will aid them now and in the future.  We feel that our office is an excellent place to learn the ropes of a professional environment, and as the his supervisor, I hope to give Armon the basic education he needs, and then to see him off to great things in the professional world.  So swing by and say hello, or give Armon an encouraging word at apolk@greaterhomewood.org starting Monday!

No comments: