Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My Tribute to Mary: A Role Model of Persistence

Persistence is defined as “permanence by virtue of the power to resist stress or force; determination, resolution, pluck, stamina, grit, endurance, tenacity, diligence.”
This defines Mary. She was a strong senior citizen determined to get her education.

Enrolled at the Greater Homewood Adult Literacy & ESOL Program since 2008, Mary entered my Reading and Math Classes in September 2009. She worked hard until health issues forced her to take a break from classes. Diligent Mary continued to study at home for several months. We spoke by phone on a number of occasions.

Mary persevered and entered my Reading class in April. I felt the class was too long for her, so I negotiated to establish academic time on Mondays and Wednesdays for brief one-on-one sessions. She agreed! Whew! We met from mid-April to mid-May, until Mary was hospitalized.

She passed away on May 31. I went to her viewing and met her beautiful daughters. Her daughter shared conversations of her final hours with her mom and in doing so, she gave me a precious, precious gift.

Mary has left an educational legacy that speaks to us all: “Pursue your dreams in spite of the challenges and struggles. Press on! Never quit!”

I dearly loved my student and friend, Mary.
She will be deeply missed.

Shared from my heart,
Connie T. Moore, M.Ed, C.A.F.E.
ABE Instructor 

To learn more about how you can get involved with GHCC's Adult Literacy & ESOL Programs, contact Jannette Seman at jseman@greaterhomewood.org or 410-261-0023

No comments: