Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Stories from VISTA Alums: Leah Paley

Did you know we're planning a VISTA Reunion for April 23-25, 2010?  Well, we are!  GHCC is bringing together 36 years of national service volunteers to celebrate a legacy of service and reconnect with old friends.  Check out the event on Facebook for up-to-date information on the weekend's events.

As we continue to celebrate our 40th anniversary and prepare for this first-ever VISTA reunion, we're going to share some stories from our former AmeriCorps volunteers about their experiences.  Today we're happy to hear from Leah Paley, who served with us in 2005-2006.

Why did you decide to become a VISTA?
I decided to become a VISTA after graduating from college because I wanted to do something that allowed me to give back to the community while building new skills that would enable me to be more successful in the working world. I also was not sure what I wanted to do after graduation and I believed that serving as a VISTA would assist me in gaining a better understanding of an appropriate career path.



Members of the 2005-2006 team at a fellow VISTA's performance -- VISTA is about more than just service, it's about making lasting friendships.

What did you do during your year of service with GHCC? I worked as a Community-School Partnership Coordinator at Medfield Heights Elementary school from July 2005 - July 2006. I managed volunteers from a variety of organizations, coordinated existing programs (such as Coldwell Banker mentors for fifth graders), submitted grant proposals to fund our MD Green School initiatives, volunteered as a co-basketball coach for our fourth and fifth grade girls, coordinated a fundraiser for the school that brought in close to $5000, and attended local community association meetings to build partnerships.

What you consider to be your biggest success as a VISTA?
My biggest success as a VISTA was the beginning phase of construction for Medfield Heights Elementary School's outdoor classroom. Due to sustained partnerships with a number of community members, we were able to secure an outdoor classroom design free of charge (courtesy of a Morgan State landscape design graduate student) and obtain grant funding that allowed us to lay the groundwork for the project.

What you are currently doing? I am currently pursing my Masters Degree in Social Work at Temple University. Prior to beginning my studies in August 2009, I worked at the National MS Society, Maryland Chapter for over three  years, where I served a variety of functions, including programs and advocacy manger.

How has your VISTA experience shaped or influenced your life/work? It made me realize how much I enjoyed working to empower vulnerable populations and increasing the number of resources available to them in order to level the playing field. I most likely would not have pursued a degree in social work had I not been employed at the National MS Society, and I would not have worked at the National MS Society if it was not for my experience as a VISTA. This year-long experience opened my eyes to issues that I was ignorant of in the past.  It made me want to work for a healthier and more compassionate society. 

No comments: