Monday, July 6, 2009

YouthWorks Spotlight (Part II): Willie Hopkins

written by Willie L. Hopkins

All About Me
Hi, my name is Willie L. Hopkins. I’m sixteen years old and I want to be a mechanic. I’m attending W.E.B Dubois high school and going into the tenth grade. I want to go to college to learn the trade of working on vehicles. I will be the second person in my family who’s going to college. My oldest sister is attending college at Towson University. I like to do a lot of things like listen to music, play games, football, and draw when there is nothing around the house to do. I like GHCC because of how working here keeps me busy and gives me something to do. I also chose to work because I need money so I can buy things for myself.

Everyday Life For Me
I’m considered the weirdest child in the house because I show interest in things none of my other siblings show interest in. I’m Goth and like to be different. I chose to be different than others, and this is just one of my ways of being different. I don’t listen to rap because it’s pretty much the same thing with every artist. But with other genres of music you won’t ever hear the same tune being played the same. I don’t really get too many questions asked when I go out in public wearing my Goth clothing, because it’s what’s expected of me. But its pretty much the same thing being asked. Like: do I worship satan, and do I know spells. It’s kind of funny if you ask me, but its only so much I can say to make them understand that you don’t have to know spells and you don’t always have to be depressed. It’s what you make out of it.

Occupations
I like to skateboard and play guitar (electric). I’m getting good at it, though I just started playing it this year so I’m a little rusty. But other than that I like to meet new people and I’m friendly. I like to go out to the movies, go paint balling, laser tagging, and I love to go go-kart riding. I want to try sky diving one day -- it looks fun. I also want to try skiing.

Education
I’m dependable when it comes to work, I’m not a slacker. I work hard and I don’t give up. I get assigned a job and believe me, it will get done. I might not work as fast as others -- I work somewhat slow and focused, but the assignment will get done. I'm going to stay focused in school this year so I can have a good grade point average (GPA). I have no intentions on dropping out because I see how most people live when they don't want education, and when they throw it away. They look sad and most of them are on the corners. But little did they know that when you want a job it won’t be easy to get one, because you don’t have an education. You will need that most importantly. Your education is something you have to take seriously because when you don’t, you will see that it’s not easy living without it. So get your education and make the most out of it. It is something that will help you through life. Going to college is one of my greatest goals. I want to go to ITT TECH. That’s a good trade school and I could learn a lot there. I also want to own my own shop so I can own my dream car, a Shelby GT 500. It's a classic car with a lot of muscle.

No comments: