Monday, January 26, 2009

My VISTA Year at GHCC


by Sharena Hagins, Youth Coordinator VISTA, January 2008-January 2009

I began my AmeriCorps VISTA year as a youth coordinator at the end of January 2008. I remember my first day walking into GHCC being anxious, excited, and nervous all rolled into one. I had no idea what to expect and who I would meet. I was politely greeted by everyone I passed in the halls and immediately began to feel at ease. I was given a schedule of what I would be doing that week, my work plan and given a desk. I got settled very quickly and began tasks on my work plan right away.

There was so much for me to do, but I organized my work plan by priority. I was able to facilitate a variety of programs throughout the year such as the MICA/MACA art camp in Remington, Youth Works, and Remington Public Gardens. I was also heavily involved with youth advocacy issues including recreation center improvement and student bus ticket time extension. Everything I worked on this year was equally as important and I put much effort into each program. I feel once I am finished my service, the programs will continue and remain sustainable over the years.

I would recommend the AmeriCorps program to anyone who would like to gain experience in communities throughout the country. GHCC is a great place to serve your VISTA year, as Baltimore City is an incredible place to live and work. There are endless possibilities and so many new programs being developed each day! I am grateful to have had the experience of completing my VISTA year at GHCC because the programs I worked on were so unique. It was an experience I will never forget and will open up many opportunities for me in the future.

No comments: